Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3/22/11

When everything in your life is going haywire, you forget your own limitations. In my early 20's I took a stained glass class and never finished a project. I am not a detail-oriented person. Think of me as a macro personality (as opposed to micro). And for the sake of Theresa Patrick, a blog reader, I am also a pretty strong Gemini.

To review -NOT detail-oriented and schizophrenic. It's a heady combination.

I ordered kitchen cabinets. The space between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling is nothing but a dust collector. Our cabinet designer suggested small cabinets on top of our "real" cabinets.

Visualize this. Small cabinets with interior lighting and glass in the doors. Nice? Of course. But how much nicer would it be if the glass was leaded. How hard can this be?

We have 11 cabinets which are 5 different sizes. It's not a one-pattern fits all. But I found one pattern that I am envisioning will fit all. And now that I have 6 of the windows complete (and let me assure this has taken hours upon hours of time I simply do not have), I remembered why I never finished a project.

Not only did I fail to take into account the time commitment this would entail, but I failed to imagine the costs. Believe me, I could have paid to have someone else do it for about the same amount of money. Plus (and this is both a positive and a negative thing) I enlisted my mother-in-law's help. (positive) And have consequently taught her some swear words she never knew before. (negative) Fortunately I am only a daughter-in-law and can't be written out of the will.







2 comments:

  1. Yep, you're a Gemini. I see this as a win-win project. You'll have to finish the project and you an MIL have developed a secret verbal code.

    You may think you're rebuilding a house after a fire but I think you're creating a home/lifestyle where things happen and stories reign. You may even change your expectations of the word - retire.

    I personally have a problem with the word - time. And I will make time to admire those cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud! Love your voice, Nancy. Stick with this!

    ReplyDelete