Wednesday, April 21, 2010


4/21/10
Fast forward one month.

The house is empty. All of our possessions are at the restoration drycleaners or are in storage waiting to be cleaned. I am operating with 4 pairs of shoes, three of which are new. We live in a 2-bedroom apt only 2 blocks from our house. Our dogs, BP & J, visit their backyard every day, but they don't like to come inside any more.

We call it doggy day camp.

After a few weeks of accidents (I'm sure they were accidents - surely the dogs wouldn't punish me for making changes in their lives), they do remember they are house broken, but stressed over the lack of furniture and I suspect the smell.

Yes, it still smells and when I arrive at work after spending a couple of hours every morning interviewing contractors I also smell like smoke.

This amuses my younger co-workers because I am a witch at the office about cigarette smoking, saying things to the twenty-something men I work with like - "Did you know the biggest cause of ED is smoking?" When that doesn't get a rise, I add. "Of course, the problem with ED is you never discover it when you're alone."

Working with me can truly be a joy.

The house is still without electricity and will be until we hire a contractor, so morning are cold. There is much grumbling among the chickens. They have no lighting in their roost. Their egg laying is off. We are preparing for a strike or possibly a mutiny.

Maybe the next time you visit our home, big bird will answer the door. I suggest you bring a sign that says 'Eat more beef'.





No comments:

Post a Comment