Friday, April 30, 2010

4/30/10
Crunch time. We have all the info from the contractors and have to make a decision. We are down to two contractors. Two companies, both with good reputations. Both we liked the individuals who represented the company. Who to choose?

My husband and I are not handy. There are times when being handy would be nice.

"Honey, build me a deck." I could say, but I guarantee you the answer would not be "red wood or cedar?" but rather "huh?"

I don't miss the skill set when I'm upset or depressed and he makes me laugh. But there are times when I'm sure others wonder if we need help dressing ourselves.

When the firemen wanted to know where was our water cut off for the house, we didn't know. We've lived there for 11 years. At one point we might have known but I'd let a hedge grow over it.

One of consistent themes we've heard from all the contractors is had my husband arrived home only a few minutes later than he did, the house would have been completely lost. Already it was out of oxygen in the basement. And it did burn long enough that a solid oak desk in the basement was charred completely through. The smoke was so thick that the firemen couldn't find the basement stairs and had to come back outside to ask for directions a second time.

Now, that we've have had time to contemplate both the good and bad things about a fire, the one question we really had, is why couldn't the garage have burned? It needed to be replaced anyway.



1 comment:

  1. Nancy, I'm sure the people surrounding me as I read this are wondering why I'm laughing and wiping tears out of my eyes. You have a gift of writing to point out the obsurd. The truly tragic thing is that's it's all true. After the waterheater burst and flooded the guest bathroom and office, I still don't know what we lost and what is packed away. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete