Friday, April 23, 2010


4/23/10
Out of 6 contractors, we are still seriously considering 3. All have experience. All impressed us in the home. All pointed out things to save us money and grief. All came with recommendations. Who to choose?

And then there is the redecorating. When we first moved into this house, the previous homeowner had LOVED wallpaper. If it didn't move it had wallpaper on it. And not just one pattern. In the upstairs bedroom, if you stood at a certain place you could see 5 different wallpapers.

I don't have that far to go to get to crazy. Wallpaper came down. Some in the middle of the night. None of it, I'm proud to say, before the sale closed. But it was close.

We painted the dining room cranberry which not everybody in our household loved, but mainly the comments were muffled. When my husband came home as I was completing the second bedroom in lime green (formerly papered with BIG rust-colored pussy willows). His comment was "I'm really starting to like the dining room."

The cowboy and indian room (AKA the TV room) I wanted coffee and cream. He chosen golden buckskin. Which when the sun hits it looks distinctly mustard yellow.

Replacing our windows months ago we never repainted the outside trim. We couldn't agree on a color. It's been 11 years since we moved into this house. This is the time to be on the forefront of the decorating movement, not bringing up the tail end. Why remodel, if in 2 years our home will seem dated?

When my grandfather died, my grandmother remodeled. Most people couldn't tell. She used the exact same coloring scheme. At the time I was shocked. Now I empathize.




1 comment:

  1. Nancy, you never fail to make me laugh! Knowing you, this remodel/reconstruction will be done right, and look fabulous. Looking forward to the 'post-fire party'. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete